The Dude on the Right
So it’s 80’s night, and it’s ladies’ night, hope they’re feeling right, and
wearing clothes that are tight. I’m gonna stop now and just get to what I
thought of the signing…
– She fell on her roller skates, wow.
– I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
– Sings well enough and is smart enough to know she isn’t Whitney, but she
performs well. Paula is on her feet. Yay!
– Randy has to show how cool he is. Dude, we get it.
– Who Wants to Live Forever – Queen
– One of my favoritist songs ever, and singing wise I thought she way great.
If she actually did the entire version instead of a shortened version I might
actually buy the thing on iTunes, but sadly it was shortened. The other
problem is that I guess they aren’t letting these people actually perform,
seemingly being restricted to that small circle in the center of the stage.
– And Paula knows where the magic is, but Simon kind of gets it right on the
– I Hate Myself for Loving You – Joan Jett
– She almost seems to have lost her confidence and keeps looking at something at
the edge of the stage likes she’s not sure of herself. Too bad because she
should have bolted this song out of the ballpark. The singing was okay for
it, but for me it seemed timid.
– I guess the judges saw something different or maybe she was singing to them,
and for that it would work, but for my TV it didn’t. She almost looked out
of it. Guess we’ll see.
– On a personal note I don’t want her to win because she already had her
chance at a recording contract and has the performing experience, but I
– I Drove All Night – Cyndi Lauper (1989), Celine Dion (2003)
– She sang great, her tattoo bugs me, and fine, give her a recording contract
but get her off the competition.
– Paula thinks Carly is a dependable dog.
Kristy Lee Cook
– She thought she was a dog?
– Faithfully – Journey
– What are the odds on Randy mentioning he worked with Journey? We’ll see.
– She’s a girl, but can’t hit the high notes like Steve Perry did? And
what’s up with the red tongue? She would have done better trying to turn
this "Faithfully" into a country version.
– Yup, Randy called Steve Perry, "Perry." Paula thinks it could be a country
hit, but for me it wasn’t country enough except for maybe the looks. Maybe
the red tongue is from medication as it sounds her voice is having problems.
– Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) – Phil Collins
– I like her, thinks she sings well, but man, this song didn’t work for me.
Worst song choice of the night, mostly because she couldn’t sing the entire
thing to work it.
– Paula is, well, in full Paula mode.
– Love is a Battlefield – Pat Benatar
– She sings purty, she is purty, but this song is all about passion, and her
performance totally lacked it. And what’s up with the giant "looks like
one of those candy, sucker" rings on the girl’s fingers. I guess I’m just
not a fashion guru. She needed to kick butt on this song, and didn’t.
– Randy proves that he doesn’t know things, again, and I don’t agree with Simon
on his take on her performance.
– Saving All My Love for You – Whitney Houston
– At times she sings like an angry Whitney Houston, which is okay, and does a
fine job with the rest of it.. She should move on, and with no real
comments from the judges I’m guessing they are running out of time, but if you
watch her doing Whitney compared to Asia’h at the top of the show, you can see
Syesha being the better singer.
Once again I question some song choices
because I seem to remember that during the 80’s there were many a decent, power
song for dudettes to sing, in just about every genre. Fine, I don’t know
if they were given a list of songs and were told "Here, pick something from this
list," or at least were able to make some suggestions before being told they
couldn’t sing them, but then again, as I think about it, how many of these girls
actually know any decent songs from the 80’s because while I was attending high
school and college, well, some of them weren’t born yet.
Right now most of any
of them can be voted off the island tomorrow, I mean booted from "American
Idol," because I have no emotions tied into their stories, but when the final 12
time comes next week I think this competition turns in to "cute dudettes" v.
David Archuleta. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see for a week.
That’s it for this one!
I’m The Dude on the Right!! L8R!!!