The Dude on the Right
I know I’ve been lax in my "American Idol" analysis this season, but what the hell, there’s no time like the present to start it up again!
Anyway, people were pissed last week because their TiVo missed the ending or cut into whatever show was after "American Idol" because it ran long. To trim time this week, now we can’t hear what all of the judges think about each contestant, instead they are broken into groups of two. You know what? I think they should have a shock buzzer on Kara DioGuardi so she shuts up some times because Randy is usually just inane but we like him saying "Dog,"
Paula is wacky and we never know what she’ll say, Simon has the only comments that matter, and Kara just keeps talking. Well, it’s Quentin Tarantino week. I agree he picks great songs for his movies, but as a vocal coach? I guess we’ll see.
Here we go…
– Sings – “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” Aerosmith
– I generally like her, but thought she overdid the song a bit. I think it came across better live, as Paula and Simon really loved her.
– Sings “Everything I Do, I Do for You” Bryan Adams
– I thought he was really good singing-wise, and he’s getting a decent stage presence. He’s almost getting a chance to stick around a few more weeks.
– “Born to be Wild” Steppenwolf
– He’s keeping his persona, he’s trying to channel Elvis body movements, and Simon is probably just licking his chops because he sees the commercial potential Adam has. Simon, though, has the best looks at Paula when she talks. Everyone loves him.
– Sings – “Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?” Bryan Adams
– Wow, this is a mess. I really, really, really, didn’t like him. He started nice enough, but in making it his own I couldn’t stand it.
– Sings – “Endless Love” Lionel Richie
– This dude has no soul. I didn’t care for it, Paula seemed to love it (maybe it sounded better in the studio), and Simon had the right take on his performance. Could be time for him to go.
– Sings – “Falling Slowly” The Swell Season
– I absolutely love this song, but cutting it into pieces really ruins this song, and as okay as he sounds, he doesn’t have nearly the passion that Glen Hansard has and it really needs a true duet partner like Marketa Irglova to be pulled off. I think Kara is crazy for liking his version.
– Sings “The Rose” Bette Midler
– Well, she can sing, but I thought she was doing better keeping the song toned down. When she hit the middle where she gospel’ed it up, it seemed messed up. She needed to do it one way or the other, and not both. And what did Paula say? Simon had it right becuase f you’re into the R&B, the soul, and the gospel, then why did you pick “The Rose” which is none of them.
Let’s wrap this up…
Even with them limiting what the judges said, the show still ran long. Someone needs to adjust some scheduling on Fox. As far as the performances, they can probably just shut the show down now because the person with the potential to be a star is Adam Lambert. That said, I’m thinking Kris Allen or Lil Rounds will be going home tomorrow night. Kris’ song choice was too obscure and just plain bad, and Lil Rounds doesn’t seem to be able to pick a song in her wheelhouse. The rest were probably good enough to stick around another week, but I’ve been wrong before.
That’s it for this one!
I’m The Dude on the Right!! L8R!!!